Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tea Cup Candles

           With tunes of a friends homemade CD on the player, an orange zest chocolate chip banana loaf in the oven, and articles for a new project on their last edit, I'm take a break and starting to make some more candles. Anyone who knows me, can a test to the fact that this is what I would call a relaxing night. For all the crafty things I do, I am rarely at home, and am rarely sitting around doing nothing... in fact I never am, expect for if I am watching a movie, and even then I generally have crafts or knitting in hand. So on the nights that I actually get to spend in, I am catching up on all the "me" things that I have been putting off.
         Tonight it is writing, baking, and candle making, among various other tasks, and here is my over due recipe of Tea Cup Candles :

Need :
-double broiler
-soy flakes or candle wax
-candle wicks
-tea cups (bonus point for matching saucers)
-wooden spoon (I used the end of a long wooden spoon so I can still use it for cooking)
-thermometer
-optional : candle scent or color
First : 
-Wash out and thoroughly dry your tea cups, and place them out on a flat surface,
with either some cardboard, newspaper, or parchment paper underneath them. 
-Then boil a small pot of water to use for a double boiler method
(you place a metal jug, or Pyrex measuring cup inside the pot of water with the candle wax inside).
Personally I haven't been measuring the wax flakes and just eye balling how much I need for the amount of cups I am filling, you can always add more if you need it.

Constantly stir your candle wax, 
and never leave the candle wax melting alone as it could boil over or topple, 
and cause many a problem and a mess! 

Note! I wish I had read this when I started out but you should make some extra wax for when your candles have dried so you can fill up your cups, as they will dent down when drying near the wicks. 
I haven't found this problem as much with the soy flakes, but it is a good practice just in case.

Second : 
-Once you have tested your candle wax and it a temperature between 190 and 200 degree's
you can add any colour or scent if you'd like (I have had good experience with scent but not color). 
Or you may pour your wax into your tea cups at this point. 

 Avoid filling them up all the way if you don't know how long your wicks will measure,
I usually fill them to about 3/4's full. 


Third :
Wait approximately 5 mins till the wax is a little harder, 
then gently place your wicks in to the bottom of your cups. 

This is the most tricky part of the whole process. 
Some tutorials I have seen take thin bamboo skewers and tape them together around the wick,
and have them laying across the rim of the cup. Where others will use a bamboo skewer to push the wick to the bottom, but I find that if you time it properly you don't have to do either and you can get them to stand on their own just fine, just maybe give them a little blow to harden them. 


Four :
Then let them sit out to dry undisturbed,
and you will slowly see them begin to harder, 
and become glorious little candles!

Note about where to purchase tea cups :
Value Village does have a generally good stash of tea cups,
but they generally range in the $8.99 to $12.99 range, 
so I would use them as a last resort. 
If you want to hit a thrift store, I would suggest a church thrift store,
or somewhere cheaper than V.V like the Sally Ann. 
Otherwise it is garage sale season,
so go and explore your local neighbourhood for lovely finds. 
This last batch were all 50 cents each, and then you get to support your community. 

Feel free to comment with any questions you come across
whilst making your own teacup candles, or before you start making them,
and I will try to help you out as best I can.

 Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment